The other day I wrote about a couple of apps that will allow you to continue creating and editing content on your WordPress-based website without having a computer. In that post I mentioned that there are some things that you can’t do with the official WordPress apps for iOS and Android.
In particular, neither of the apps will help you take care of installing or updating plugins or templates, security updates, or database backups – all things that are very important to keeping your website running in tip-top shape.
So, what are you to do?
Bury your head in the sand and hope that your website doesn’t have any problems? Do you call the whole thing off? Do you hire a website designer to handle maintenance for you? Is there another way?
Depending on your situation, you may have to hire somebody. But if you have internet access on your smart phone, you have more options. You can use a service like ManageWP (affiliate link) to handle those things for as low as $0.70 per month per website at the time I’m writing this (that’s really inexpensive).
All in One
Well, if it’s not truly all in one, it’s pretty close. Frankly, I think their service is stellar and I use it to manage several websites myself (I’m on the free plan, which might be the right plan for you too).
From a single dashboard I’m able to update plugins and templates across multiple sites with just a click or two.
- I can clean out old revisions of posts.
- I can clean out overloaded tables.
- I can scan for security breaches and manage comments.
- I can update plugins and templates.
- I can check things like page load speed.
There are even options for automatic database backups and way more than I can put in this post.
It gets better
But the slickest part of all is that they have apps available for both iOS and Andriod. When I first learned about ManageWP about a year ago, I didn’t even know they had an app. I just started using the service because it was meeting my needs. When I discovered the app, I got excited; even though I do much of my work on my MacBook, it’s great to know I can use the app if I need to.
Could a mobile app help you?
Maybe that’s the ticket for you, too. If you need to be able to keep up your WordPress website’s security and plugins but don’t have consistent access to a computer, check out ManageWP.
You can sign up for free to try out all the features and then choose a plan that works for your needs. Anything from totally free for up to 5 websites to $4.20 per month for a whole host of features.
Like I said before, I’m using the free version but I do plan to upgrade so that I can:
- Increase the number of sites I manage
- Schedule automated backups
- Run Search Engine Optimization checks
- Get uptime reports
It’s your turn
I’d love to hear from you. Whether you leave me a comment or shoot me an email, I want to know whether you’re finding this valuable.
- What do you like/dislike about ManageWP?
- What other services would be valuable for a content producer such as a missionary who doesn’t always have access to the internet on a computer?
- If you know a missionary, I’d love to “internet-meet” him or her. Would you connect us?
- If you are a missionary, I’d love to hear about what you have going on with your internet presence – what’s working and what challenges you’re facing.
Until the next time, may the peace of God guard your hearts in Christ Jesus.