Leadership in government and business today is often equated with the creation of wealth, and growing the economy. [Psalm 72:1-7] calls for the creation of justice. Treating others with fairness and dignity is the “rain” that helps them to grow and be fruitful.
Restart: Compassion and Justice Reading Plan at YouVersion.com
It’s tempting for leaders to live out of insufficient sources of motivation – from sheer adrenaline or over caffeination to tracking it out on the ministry treadmill or running on auto-pilot. As leaders, we often face the question, “What am I living out of?” In other words, “What is my prime source of motivation and strength as a leader?” Christ wants us to obey him and live for him out of the motivation of relationship, intimacy and love (cf., Luke 10:27). And that intimacy stems from the place we give to God’s Word in our lives.
Restart: Leading with Confidence, day 2
Leading change can be hard but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. In fact, there are some very simple strategies that will help you lead change effectively.
I don’t have a lot of time today so I’m just going to get to it. Continue reading
If you’re a leader (or close to one) you know that leaders often wear a number of hats.They do a lot of things – they go first – not like cutting in line, more like blazing the trail. They protect their people. They have their eyes open and see things.
But three things leaders do are critical and set the stage for everything else.
- Communicate vision
- Create culture
- Live it
How is it that some people are successful against all odds while others flounder with little or no success even though they have every advantage? Many people would say hard work and that’s sure part of it. But there’s another element in the relentless pursuit of a vision, goal, or cause.
The ability to choose perspective.
Beauty is in how you frame the picture – where you focus and what you ignore.
That might sound silly but it’s true. Think for a moment about photographers; great photographers capture beauty in horrible conditions by carefully framing their shots. And in the same way we can see the world and our situations differently based on how we look at things. We can see the world as it is, yet full of possibilities. Or we can see it as full of difficulties. The choice is ours.
If we see only opportunity and adventure, obstacles become challenges to overcome. On the other hand, if we see adversity and difficulty, we see no opportunities. Continue reading
God has a high calling on our lives. He has given us amazing things to do. But there’s always more to do than the time to do it. We continually have to make trade-offs. We either make them by choice or they are made for us when we run out of time.
How do we know what we should do? How do we decide what is the best thing for us to do with our time?
- What are you doing that you should stop doing?
- What opportunity are you not seeing?
Ask yourselves these questions. And keep asking them.
For a while I’ve been pondering the difficulties that we seem to have getting people involved in service activities at our church. Now, before I get too far down in this posting, I’d like to make these two provisos:
- I understand that the local body is not the only place people can serve
- I understand that it is possible to serve in the local body and still not be advancing the kingdom
Occasionally (or often), I read non-religious books and blog postings. As I was reading Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions, I was reminded, again, of the 80/20 principle. I have been aware of the 80/20 principle for some time, which generally applies to a “society” or “community” of interrelated variables (people, products, etc). In the context of people, it would state that:
- 20% of the people have 80% of the wealth.
- 20% of the people do 80% of the work.
- 80% of the people do the remaining 20% of the work.
- 20% of the people create 80% of the problems.
That got me thinking. First, I wonder if we sometimes expect that each person in our “community” will give the same amount – the kind of “work leveling” that we would see in a job. Second, I see that, across the board, no matter how we break it down, 100% of the people do 100% of the work.
As I continued to meditate on these principles, I was reminded that Jesus said that whoever wants to be first must be last and the servant of all (Mark 9:35). In other words, if I want to follow Christ more closely, I must serve more people (do more of the work, etc) – which means I must, by definition, be more involved in my community.